kids books: a steal from National Book Store!


I spent more than half of the day in the mall today. I went to the dentist for another filling and I also got my dental application, something I have to wear every night to help correct my bite and keep my teeth from falling apart. I had lunch alone then went for a facial. I cherish my me-time but I also feel a bit guilty each time I spend some hours of the weekend away from my husband and kids.

To banish my guilt, I decided to drop by National Book Store for some pasalubong. I gathered from the NBS Facebook page that they're having up to 70% off their books from August 30 to September 8.


I went home happily carrying two books for the kids - a steal at 70% and 50% off!

Asian Children's Favorite Stories
A Treasury of Folktales from China, Japan, Korea, India, the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia as retold by David Conger, Kay Lyons, Liana Romulo, Joan Suyenaga and Marian Davies Toth
Illustrations by Partick Yee



I got it for P430.50. Original Price is P1,435. That's P1,000 off!

I have loved Folklore as a kid and I wanted to share this interest with TL#1 who has exhibited genuine interest in reading books at a very young age.

I also thought he'd adore the book because he's been hooked lately on learning about different countries, their flags and their capital cities.

The book includes interesting folktales such as How the Sea Became Salty (from Japan) and Why Cats and Dogs Don't Get Along (from Korea).

As soon as I got home, TL#1 got hold of the book and scanned the pages, reading a few words on his own. Then his daddy and I took turns reading to him some of the stories while our little one looked on, wanting to turn the pages, too. After 3 stories, I got hoarse from reading and had to plead TL#1 to stop for tonight.

Other stories in the books are:

The Waters of Olive Lake - CHINA

Why Cats and Dogs Don't Get Along - KOREA

The Clever Rabbit and Numskull - INDIA

The Crane's Gratitude - JAPAN

Why the Tapir Has No Tail - MALAYSIA

Baka the Cow and Kalabaw the Water Buffalo - PHILIPPINES

The Mousedeer Becomes a Judge - INDONESIA

The Fake Gem - THAILAND

The Golden Ring - PHILIPPINES

Liang and His Magic Brush - CHINA

A Tale of Sticks and Turnips - KOREA

The Lucky Farmer Becomes King - THAILAND


The stories are interesting even for adults. I saw the husband sneak some minutes to read a story.


The 7 Habits of Happy Kids
by Sean Covey
Illustrated by Stacy Curtis



This is a picture book based on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey.

Each of the stories in the book illustrates one habit. At the end of each story, the author included a note for parents which has some suggestions on how to bring out the habit in the story.

I'm not really sure if I bought this for the kids or for myself but I am glad I did for 50% off at P337.50, originally P675. It is a big hardbound book with sleeve.

I think TL#2 found this more interesting because of the illustrations. Although it is still a bit of a tall order for him to grasp the concept of the habits, it never is too early to teach our kids to develop good habits and grow up happy!

When TL#1 eventually let to go of the book, I found myself reading it from cover to cover and making plans for myself and for TL#1 to take baby steps to live the habit.

And of course, being the bookworm that I am, I bought two books for myself, too. :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ang huwarang pamilya

a brief trip to (smelly) Manila Zoo

status update (and complaints) on our compliance with Kasambahay Law