ipad thoughts from an average juan (juanita?)

I'm loving my ipad and i am not predisposed to share it even with hubby and baby. In the first place, i bought it because i never got to use my itouch exclusively. Our toddler claimed it for his own. I fondly call my ipad pinkpad because the smart cover and its alternate cover are both pink. Genius!

I use my pinkpad for social networking (aka facebook and twitter), surfing the net, blogging, reading books and magazines, writing notes and random thoughts, organizing my workdays and personal schedule, recording meetings, listing my to-do list, shopping list, menu for the week and drafting an attempt to write a novel. It has become my new best friend. I would love it more if i can watch or rent movies via the Philippine app store. Reminds me to ask hubby regarding that.

I'm not a techy, my hubby is, so i don't know anything about the technical specifications of the ipad. He is also more in the know when it comes to best apps, updates, etc. That's why on the rare occasions that he gets hold of pinkpad, he sneaks in an app or two. But since he is currently using an itouch, he is more familiar with those apps.

I'm not an expert, i don't pretend to be and i don't have plans of being one but i wanted to maximize the use of my pinkpad. I also did not want to waste money trying each and every app there is before i get the right one. Sometimes customer ratings and feedbacks are not reliable. At one point, i wanted to buy magazines which promise the "keys to maximizing your ipad", etc.

Since i like writing and taking down notes a lot, one of my first purchases was bento. I was intrigued by it but found it a bit complicated. I want things straight and simple. I should just have downloaded awesome notes for ipad. I used anote on my itouch to make our grocery lists, write random thoughts and ideas, and draft a taglish romance novel. Bento was a bit expensive mistake at US$4.99 (and its tutorial cost $3.99) and so to be more app-wise, i began searching for app advice.

What helped me turn my ipad into my ultimate companion is appstart by app advice It was free when i installed it. It claimed to be an app starter kit with all the essential apps one will ever need. Some items in their list are not downloadable via ph app store but i did get nice apps advice.

appstart does take a fresh and fun approach in teaching average users like me on the best apps there is and how to turn the ipad into a 'magical' gadget. They also provide ipad 101, six basic tips on how to use the ipad and other practical tips on surfing the net, facetime, etc. They have a top ten list of apps for moms, dads, children, and it goes on and on.

Among their list on magazine rack, i downloaded Flipboard and Zinio. I enjoy reading magazines on Zinio and instead of going to friendly for Facebook to update myself of my friends' activities, i use Flipboard. Zinio offers a wide variety of digital versions of magazines. I now subscribe to O! The Oprah Magazine and i have asked customer service to give me free subscription to Good Housekeeping. They promised to give me the link today.

Of course, since i wanted to use my ipad for writing, i downloaded apple's pages. I also downloaded numbers. I'm still trying to find my way around these apps. Luckily, i found video tutorials via safari books online, which i have free access to care of our company University. Will try to watch the videos later today. Safari books online offer more than 13,500 ebooks and they also have an app for ipad. They offer ipad 'manuals' such as "Taking your ipad2 to the max" which i found boring compared to appstart.

Yesterday, hubby and i enjoyed playing scrabble on ipad (nerds!), using our itouch as tile racks. Hubby just loves it when he beats me. Other noteworthy game room games are touch hockey and pinball HD.

Slowly but surely, my pinkpad is helping me become more organized and less forgetful. Important to do's are listed in notes and meeting and deadlines are in my calendar. It has got me writing more frequently via wordpress. I also prefer to stay at home rather than go out since i feel i've got everything i need here - hubby, baby, and my pinkpad (plus wi-fi)!

"When you get, give. When you learn, teach" - Maya Angelou



20110605-093151.jpg

20110605-093322.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ang huwarang pamilya

a brief trip to (smelly) Manila Zoo

status update (and complaints) on our compliance with Kasambahay Law